Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, are planning to move back to the United Kingdom, ABC News has confirmed.
A source familiar with the matter said Wednesday that the couple will remain private individuals and non-working royals, as they have been since stepping down from their senior royal roles in 2020.
Harry and Meghan moved to California that same year, where they have been living with their two children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.
Harry's father, King Charles III, was first made aware of the couple's plans on Sunday and is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of the Sussex family.
The king is currently at Balmoral, the royal family's residence in Scotland, on summer holiday.
News of the family's move back to the U.K. was first reported by The Telegraph. According to the outlet, Harry and Meghan will retain their current residences in Montecito, California, and Portugal and will live in a "private, non-royal residence" near London.
Archie and Lilibet are enrolled and will begin school in the U.K. in September, the outlet reported.
Buckingham Palace has not commented on the matter.
Charles and his wife, Queen Camilla, met with Harry, Meghan and their two children last month in the U.K., a royal source confirmed to ABC News at the time. The meeting was the first time Charles and Camilla were known to have seen Meghan and their grandchildren since 2022.
The family's planned move was not raised or discussed with the king and queen during the Sussexes' visit, a source told ABC News this week.
The move comes after Harry lost an appeal last year challenging the British government's decision to reduce his publicly funded security following his and Meghan's decision to step back as senior working royals.
The family's security arrangements moving forward have not been disclosed. The Sussexes have relied on a privately funded security team since moving to California.