Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, haven't decided exactly how long they will stay in the United Kingdom as they prepare to move back with their two children, ABC News has learned.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to stay in the U.K. for an "extended period of time" and see how it goes, according to a source familiar with the matter.
School placements for the couple's children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, were part of the decision concerning the timing of the family's move, but a source told ABC News there were also many things that fell into place.
Harry and Meghan's planned return comes six years after they stepped away from their roles as senior working members of the royal family and moved to California.
The couple have not commented publicly on their planned move and are not expected to return to royal duties.
ABC News previously learned that Harry's father, King Charles III, was informed of the couple's decision on Aug. 16, just days before news of the move was first reported.
A source familiar with the matter previously told ABC News that Charles is looking forward to seeing more of the family when they return to the U.K.
Harry and Meghan have made only two visits to the U.K. with their children since 2020: once in 2022 to attend the late Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee and again this past July.
Charles and Queen Camilla hosted Harry, Meghan and their children during the July trip, marking the first time in four years that they had seen the four of them in person.
Neither Buckingham Palace nor a spokesperson for the Sussexes commented publicly on the family meeting.
Harry has made other visits to the U.K. over the years, including visits with Charles following the king's cancer diagnosis in 2024.